10.11.14

Sanctuaire


Climbing higher and higher into the canyon
Praying that it will just eat me up and keep me safe from the real world.
Because when I'm in the trees nothing matters.
I'm a native to their branches and the birds are my friends.
Crowns weaved of wildflowers and rings of grass.


I'm coming home.
Home to where we played Indians.
Where we swam in oceans of tall yellow grass 
with handfuls of sunflowers and Indian paintbrush.
To where the forts were made in the branches
Stacked as high as our toes would take us.
To where we mixed squished berries and dirt 
Only to cover our faces with the grimiest of masks.

No tree hear has been unscouted
No ditched uninhabited.
This is our home.
This is our freedom.
At least until our mom's call us home for dinner
And baths.


Drawn to it as a bee to a flower.
Hiding away from the "real" problems
The "real" decisions.
Sanctuary.
Heaven.

Firsts kisses and tag through the giants.
Never will its meaning dwindle.
For this is where we go to find out
Who we really are.
Humans returning to destiny.

Getting lost in your glory on purpose because only then is it easier to find myself.


2 comments:

  1. "Crowns weaved of wildflowers and rings of tall grass."
    Incredible writing. It reminds me of good memories.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Where we swam in oceans of tall yellow grass with handfuls of sunflowers and Indian paintbrush." Oh so good. This has been one of my favorites so far.

    ReplyDelete