12.7.15

Army Wife

When he left to fight in the war they asked me if I was okay.
I don't know what answer they were looking for but I could tell she was tired of people bringing over plates of sympathy cookies attached to the most generic sticky notes strewn with the same words.

Keep your head up.
You're in our prayers.
You can do it!

She began to burn out from all of the sad looks, the pity hugs, and the boys mowing our lawn before she even woke up.
All of the over caution and compassion began to cripple her.
What was given out of love and kindness turned her into a robot.

Thank you.
We are doing great.
You are so kind for thinking of us.

I can't tell if she will be back to normal until he comes home.
She tells me to give them the same answers back as to stop them from asking.

She lies to me too and tells me she is fine.
She pretends that nothing has changed.
But it definitely has and we should be working together on this.
Instead of fighting every night.
I'm worried about leaving her this fall.

It's okay mom,
It's not supposed to be fine.

1 comment:

  1. This. The end. Hit hard and hit home.

    So beautiful.

    ReplyDelete