19.10.14

Forever Young/Crazy Kids/Stop.

Just like love songs making sense when you get that throbbing in your heart for the first time,
songs like “Forever young”  started to make me cry.


Always watching  the big kids sucking so hard on their lollipops
We wore heels and practiced curling our hair in those sexy VS curls.


As we grew taller
They grew smaller


The smell of hairspray and moms lipstick made us feel right
While they let their hair loose and no makeup seemed more fun.
More free.


Now they are off in college.
Now I know why they partied so hard everyday of the Summer.


They warned us screaming run kids while you still have the chance.
Don’t put on that mascara. Drop that gloss. And you better get away from that boy
because sweety he is just as scared as the rest of us.


I’m just mad because I didn’t believe them.


We stay up all hours of the night but now it isn’t because of sneaking and anticipation.
We are droned with the reality of jobs and college and growing up.
Jobs and college and growing up.


Now its our turn to tell the kids with their eyes so bright
the real truth.
Better to prepare them now.

Stop.

They think that we are silly with our pigtails and soda pop licking so hard on those lollipops.
And we cry as we see them put on those heels and spray their hair so that no strand strays.
Because being grown up to them is fun.
Their next adventure.
But when they get closer to that adventure they will realize those little big lies.


The toll of the adventure causes us to break and head backwards for our last hoorah.


Singing in the shower.
Sneaking out the basement window.
Kissing. Lots.
Long drives to nowhere because even the canyon has an end.
Running outside with no shoes.
Jumping from mud puddle to longboard faster than lightning
No one can catch us.
Skinny dipping in the river knowing darn well our parents would disapprove.
Jumping off bridges and diving into pools with our clothes on.
Kissing more.
Star gazing in the truck.
Raving at every concert.


We do everything we can to avoid the fear of becoming a scary monotonous robot.


Sorry kids but unlike most apparently, I never want high school to end because I was told that means losing all of this.


Also sorry mom and dad because I’m not letting that happen.


Forever Young may make me cry and my teen years may be technically ending.
But Crazy Kids makes me excited and I’m not losing that.


So I nominate a few more parties every weekend.
I’ll start and we will work our way around the world.
Never ending youth.
Never crying.
Even with jobs and college and growing up.

4 comments:

  1. THIS IS BEAUTY.
    I am so so in love with these.
    your words are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Sorry kids but unlike most apparently, I never want high school to end because I was told that means losing all of this."
    I think about this all the time. If only high school was a little bit longer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Its so true! When we get out of high school, our lives start on its stupid adult course. I don't want to leave all that behind. I am honestly going to live the way I will enjoy it. And that will include all the crazy things I did in high school. Maybe just in a more adult way. Never Grow Up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so true. I connected with this post so much. I wanna be forever young.

    ReplyDelete